I’ll Send You a Postcard

Friday, July 9th, 2004 • 7 Comments on I’ll Send You a Postcard

Every few months, I get the urge to just take off and go.  Run away from home, leave everything behind and live in a fantasy world of my own making where someone else cleans my room and every meal is either from a restaurant or delivered by room service.  Where every person I meet is a stranger, everything I see is fresh and new and no one expects anything at all from me except that I pay my tab when I move on.  Ahhh… that’s freedom.  Or maybe it’s just the best vacation ever.

Of course, my compulsion to run away often corresponds to stress and angst in my very real life.  Sometimes, all I need is a couple days away to feel like everything is right with my world.  And sometimes, I just want the vacation to last forever.  There are most definitely two sides of me—the side who likes the feeling of “home” and being settled and the side who once aspired to be a photo-journalist traveling the globe.  I no longer have the desire to go to all the world’s hot spots, but I still get the urge to take off.  Jae attributes it to my independent nature and dysfunctional childhood.  He may be right on both counts.

It is an interesting dichotomy, the desire for permanence and a sense of belonging, and the irresistible urge to run away and reinvent myself.  History, memories, roots… or a clean slate with infinite possibilities.  They both have their appeal.

Posted by Kristina in Life
  • Rose says:

How ‘bout France?

• Jae says:

reinvent yourself?  it can’t be done.  walking around pretending to be something you’re not will only lead you right back to where you started- self.  the trick is striving to be the best you that you can be.  it’s about reaching to you highest hight and discovering that such a place is only the start.  the trick is smiling at the person you see everyday in the mirror and befriending and loving the little voice (or voices for so many of us) in your head.

France.  Hmm.  I don’t want to learn French.

I don’t want to pretend to be someone I’m not.  Reinventing myself means tossing out the negatives and the doubts and the fears and the responsibilities and pursuing things I’m not pursuing now.  Sure, I don’t have to run away to do that, but it’s appealing sometimes think about starting over.  Don’t you think?

• Josh says:

We all just need to be ourselfs once in a while, without any strings.

• Rose says:

Les croissant au chocolat
    Glace chocolat
    chocolat.

3 reasons to go to France. Then take the high speed train through the Chunnel. And get some scones with clotted cream. Who cares about finding yourself when you have yummy things to eat?

I can find chocolate anywhere.  And you shouldn’t obsess so much about food when you’re constantly on a diet!