It Lives!  It Blogs!

Wednesday, June 29th, 2005 • 9 Comments on It Lives!  It Blogs!

“The time at length arrives, when grief is rather an indulgence than a necessity; and the smile that plays upon the lips, although it may be deemed a sacrilege, is not banished.” – V. Frankenstein

There are e-mails and phone calls to be returned, but Frankenstein has eaten up a chunk of my day.  I read it as an undergrad, but I’m enjoying it more this time around.  There is something to be said for age and experience when it comes to reading literature.  Who said getting old is a bad thing?  Oh, right, pretty much everyone.

I’ll finish the book tomorrow—and return to the land of the living, writing and blogging.

Posted by Kristina in Writing
  • Jer says:

There’s nothing wrong with age.  Through age we gather experiences.  Experience is the only true reason to live.

So to summarize: age = experience = living

If you’re not aging, you’re not experiencing anything and you’re certainly not living*.

*I do apologize to any undead that might be offended by this comment.  This refers to warm blooded, mortal humans and does not suggest that gods, demi-gods or the unliving abomination of undeath are unable to gather experiences.

• An Undead says:

I don’t disagree with much that’s written here or the comments associated with Kristi’s thoughts. But to suggest, even remotely, that experience is the only true reason to live is not only short sighted but confining. We live for many reasons. What if a person’s experiences have been filled with hurt, rejection and pain? Do they live for those experinces, as you suggested, or the hope that things might get better? What if an individual hasn’t found love or the intimacy that allows them to live and share their heart with another. Do they live only through those narrow tunnels or in the possibility that life has a gift waiting for them somewhere? Everyone is different, as are their needs and perceptions.
    You are suggesting that all experiences are worthy of life. It’s true that our experiences shape our lives but our reasons to live are not necessarily found in each of those experiences. Age does equal experince. But experience isn’t always our basis for living. That equation is much too simple and confining. Life is much more than that.

• Jeremy says:

Braaaaains,
    I think you misunderstood me, which is understandable as I was being pretty vague.

I very much agree with many of your comments.

I’ll start with “What if an individual hasn’t found love or the intimacy that allows them to live and share their heart with another. Do they live only through those narrow tunnels or in the possibility that life has a gift waiting for them somewhere?”

– Nowhere in my comment did I suggest that hope has no place in life.  Experiences not only provide thoughts of the present and the past, but also the absence of an experience (or a negative experience) might cause someone to go in search of an experience (or a better one).  Or to further their experiences.

I did not intent to be interpreted as “Experience what life gives you and deal with it.”  I was aiming more for “Experience what life gives you and use those experiences to drive you to experience further.”  My comments are all opinion, of course, and I’m not ordering anyone to specifically do *anything* with their lives.  Telling someone that age is okay, that age leads to experiences and gathering and HUNTING experiences is a wonderful way to spend your life isn’t a poor suggestion, I don’t think.

It is up to everyone as to what experiences they persue, but to complete your life and say, “Wow.  I’ve seen a lot of amazing stuff!”  Is a pretty good feeling, I’d imagine.  It encompasses anything that one might want for themselves.

• Jae says:

What would life be without experiences?  What if we went through our existence without ever feeling hurt, rejection or pain?  What if we only experienced love and intimacy?

Life, at its foundation, is about experience—the good and bad.  Generally, with age comes more experiences.  And if we’re not experiencing life, the good, bad and indifferent, we’re really not living.  Simple math, really.

Jer’s correct with equation.  It doesn’t define the meaning of life or our motivation to forge forward; it only describes life’s main ingredient.  But I never read Frankenstein, so who am I to say.  Perhaps I can find the answer in Cliff Notes or from the screen adaptation.  Or shall I simply ask the sweet Kristina?  Pretty Bird.

No. It’s yogurt! That’s the answer.  Yogurt.

• Jeremy says:

Strawberry Banana Yogurt.

• An Undead says:

Jeremy…..your clarification was my point. My issue was the narrowness of your comment, “experience is the only true reason to live.” You were vague but you explained. I understand your meaning. I agree. The world is now in line once again. And yes……strawberry banana yogurt is the true answer. We should do this more often. Devils advocate is fun.

• Jeremy says:

I’m glad that the boat isn’t rocking any more.  At least for this reason.  smile

• Malakai Jones says:

Man, a few more posts like this and I might feel like I am reading Frankenstein!!  Only this is a lot funnier, please continue…

• Nick says:

This is why your blog is so great.  Some see an introduction into a discussion of life and it’s relation to age.  Some see it as a way to express their lost chances and experiences.  And some see it as humor.

Keep up the good work, Kris.