Have Yourself a Quirky Little Christmas

Tuesday, December 13th, 2005 • 6 Comments on Have Yourself a Quirky Little Christmas

My favorite Christmas movies, in no particular order:

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas

Die Hard

Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town

Babes in Toyland

Scrooged

Dr. Seuss’s How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

The Ref

Yes, I know I left out It’s a Wonderful Life, but that’s because it’s boring.  Or is it just me?

• Karina says:

Oh no!  You forgot Frosty!

• jae says:

WONDERFUL LIFE is a bore.  In fact, it was a box office flop.  Because it was a flop, TV networks were able to buy the rights and show it for cheap.  And back in those days, when there were only three stations, everyone was forced to watch it.  That’s how WONDERFUL LIFE became popular.  That’s why everyone has seen it.  That’s how WONDERFUL LIFE became a freaking holiday tradition.  That’s why it’s unAmerican not to love it.  (It’s like regifting for TV networks.)  Well, at least that’s what my music teacher taught me in elementary school.  I’m pretty sure she was right because she had all the answers in the back of the book.

• Michael says:

Boring.

What the hell is Emmet Otter, by the way?  Can I find that at Blockbuster under ‘Redneck Christmas Movies’?

• Anonymous says:

Interesting list. Die Hard…..never thought of that as a typical Christmas movie but it works. Glad to see you included Emmet Otter….not enough people know about that one. I don’t know how you can leave out A Christmas Story…..it’s in a class by itself. Also, A Year Without A Santa Clause, where Heat Miser and Snow Miser have a chorus of little misers do Rockette imitations, is great. And I’ll be the one who includes It’s A Wonderful Life on my list. It’s not for cynics…..it’s for those who, as written at the end of Polar Express, can still hear the bells. Boring? Not for me. There are a lot of movies that aren’t commercial successes for any number of reasons. Sometimes they eventually find an audience. That many people can’t be wrong for this long. The only time in recent memory that many people were wrong was when Clinton occupied the White House. (Figured I’d stoke the holiday spirit with comment..smile) Merry Christmas!!!

• Kevin T. says:

Die Hard!! Excellent Choice! Yippee-ki-yay…

I stand by my assertion—It’s a Wonderful Life is long and dull.  Jimmy Stewart is whiny (not to mention mean to his wife).  I did forget about the Heat Miser/Snow Miser one—why doesn’t the title sound familiar?

I won’t touch the Clinton comment.  I want Bill back!