Wanna Mambo?

Thursday, January 12th, 2006 • 11 Comments on Wanna Mambo?

I have heard Lou Bega’s “Mambo #5” three times since 6:30 this evening (four, if you count just now when I Googled him and found the video above):

The first time I heard it was while I was sitting in traffic on my way home from class this evening.

The second time I heard it was when I was reading the newspaper and Yes, Dear was on in the background.  They sang it as part of a karaoke bar scene.

The third time I heard it was a few minutes ago as the jingle for an Applebee’s commercial.

That’s three times in six hours for a song that’s—what?—over six years old?  Weird.  I’m a big believer in signs, but I can’t figure out what the heck this sign is supposed to mean.  Should I learn to do the mambo?  Should I start dating girls?  If Lou Bega was from Costa Rica instead of Cuba, I might think I’m supposed to move to Costa Rica.  I’ve had this recent run of Costa Rican references and now I’m convinced I’m supposed to go to Costa Rica.  Of course, there is an Erica in “Mambo #5” and Erica is spelled E-R-I-C-A and those last four letters spell Rica, as in Costa Rica

Too much of a stretch?  Probably.  But now I’m going to have that damn song stuck in my head all night and I won’t be able to sleep…

Maybe I’ll go do some research on Costa Rica, hmm?

P.S.  Don’t click on the Lou Bega link unless you want “Mambo #5” stuck in

your

head, too.

• Anonymous says:

I think there is a definite connection here. Lou Vega has the same number of letters as Jim Frey as does Louis Vega to James Frey. The words to Vega’s Mambo #5 seem to mirror Frey’s words these last few days,
    “Take one step left
      and one step right
      clap your hands once
      and clap your hands twice
      and if it looks like this
      then you are doing it right”
    Also, Frey’s “A Million Little Pieces” has exactly 20 letters, which, when divided by Vega’s # 5 is 4, which is the number of times you heard that song in a six hour period. The number six then goes back full circle to the number of letters in the names of Jim Frey and Lou Vega.

Taking all of this into consideration, I think you should go to Cuba, bring an Applebee’s menu,  write a memoir that’s not completely true, make sure the title has exactly twenty letters, sit in traffic with the radio on, see if Stephen Glass can help edit or enhance your story, meet five women named, Monica, Erica, Rita, Tina, and Jessica, reply to someone by saying, Yes Dear, attempt to see Castro(this has no real significance to anything except it would probably be a cool thing to do), send your book to Oprah, call Larry King, release another book that you wrote a few years ago and no one wanted to buy but will now because of the controversy surrounding the one you wrote in Cuba with the forward by Glass, understanding that the American public loves scandal and lies more than truth and integrity, get an attorney and accountant to help sort out the details on your new multi-million dollar book and movie deal, move to England and start a sequel of books about how Ann Rice kills Harry Potter with the help of born again Christians, then decide if you want Godiva chocolate or Moose Tracks for dessert.
    All in all, it should be a fun time.

• Anonymous says:

Great post.

• You almost have me convinced.  Now, if you can work JT Leroy into that equation, I’ll book passage to Cuba.

• Anonymous says:

How to tie in JT Leroy to the Frey/Cuba thing? She wrote a book titled, “The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things.” Time to book your trip.

• Anonymous says:

And yes…..six doesn’t add up to the number of letters in the names of Jim Frey and Lou Vega (I’m surprised no one noticed)….but I figured I could take “liberties,” considering who and what I was writing about.

The letters do add up to 7 each though, and my birthday is the 7th, so… I’ll let it slide.  Oh, and JT Leroy adds up to 7 as well…

I wonder how hard it is to get into Cuba these days?

• Anonymous says:

Call Jim Frey. He probably has that info by now.

• Rose says:

Hey, England has seven letters. Go to England instead. I hear there’s some kickass clotted cream over there.

• Michael says:

I did not head your warning.  I clicked.  I listened.  I’m mamboing.  It isn’t pretty.  Thanks a lot.

• Brian says:

I think I’d rather read Frey than listen to that song again.

• Kara says:

You’d love Costa Rica.  The scenery is incredible and the weather is beautiful all year long.  And the boys are pretty cute, too. smile