Why Men Should Not Be Allowed to Name Babies

Wednesday, March 12th, 2008 • 6 Comments on Why Men Should Not Be Allowed to Name Babies

A short conversation, a few days ago

Jay, upon finishing an article in Foreign Affairs written by Lyric Hughes Hale: “I want to name our child Lyric.”

Me, contemplating the sound of Lyric Wright: “Okay.  That’s cool.”

A short conversation, today

Me, half-jokingly:  “If we had twins, we could name them Lyric and Poet.  They’re kind of gender-neutral names and you could call a boy Poe for short.”

Jay, seriously contemplating this:  “True.  He could be Poet Duncan.”

Me, surprised:  “That’s not bad.”

Jay:  “And I could call him Podunk for short.”

Me:  “You are not allowed to have anything to do with naming my children.”

Posted by Kristina in Musings, Pregnancy and Baby
  • Jennifer says:

Just read this post out loud to Mark, who laughed and laughed… wink

Lyric and Poet are both wonderful names!!!

• Alana says:

Hmm, K. I think I SERIOUSLY missed something lately. Are you pregnant?

Jennifer—Glad we could make Mark laugh.  Hope there is good news.

Alana—No, you haven’t missed anything.  Not pregnant, just trying.  (For the very brief period before he deploys… )  Will keep you posted—I’ll need advice!  smile

• Alana says:

OK, K. Good luck on deployment. You’re both brave and generous and brave.  XXOO

As for advice: yes, anytime.

• Katie says:

I like Lyric and Poet, and I think if you have triplets you should definitely throw in Copy as well. Copy Wright. You could call it Cop for short, Nick would assume it is a personal tribute. Honestly though, I do like Lyric and Poet. There’s a celebrity with a baby named poet, but I don’t remember which celeb it is.

• Rose says:

Nah, considering how much you love your mac, I think you should call him/her apple. Maybe I’ll call mine Dell or something.