My Summer Reading

Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 • 6 Comments on My Summer Reading

So, I haven’t been writing much lately.  Cue the ominous music.  I’m slowly (very slowly) getting back to it.  In the meantime, while I haven’t been doing a lot of writing I’ve been doing a lot more reading.  I’m funny like that—the more I’m writing, the less I’m reading.  So, I do like to take advantage of the lull in creativity and catch up on some books.

I plowed through two of the last three Laurel K. Hamilton Anita Blake books (I think I’ll wait for Skin Trade to come out in paperback) and the last two Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich.  It’s fun to revisit familiar characters (and after 15 Stephanie Plum books and, what?, 18 Anita Blake books, I feel like I really know the characters) even when the stories start to run together.

image image  My waiting room book right now is Jennifer Weiner’s Little Earthquakes (about three pregnant/new moms, appropriately enough) before I delve into her new hardcover Best Friends Forever (which I just read is the NYT #1 best seller!).  I scored her newest book from Simon & Schuster on Twitter during a BEA promotion in May.  So I’ll be reviewing Best Friends Forever here and on Amazon.

(See, Twitter is not entirely the time waster some people think it is!  Okay, it is, but you can also get free stuff.  That’s something, right?)

Oh, and by “waiting room book” I mean the book that I only take with me to doctor’s appointments or wherever else I might be happen to be waiting.  It gives me something to look forward to when I’m dreading the two-hour wait for a fifteen minute office visit.  Am I the only one that has a special book just for waiting rooms?  Please let me I’m not.

image  I picked up Afterbirth: Stories You Won’t Read in a Parenting Magazine (edited by Dani Klein Modisett) after my cousin sent me a link to Caroline Bicks’s hilarious essay My Date With Dr. Ferber.  I’m looking forward to the wit and wisdom in this book, though I’m afraid I’m horrified by some of it (see Bicks’s essay about what a rebellious toddler can do). If nothing else, it promises to be more fun than reading What to Expect When You’re Expecting.

I am looking for pregnancy/motherhood/parenting book recommendations (both practical and entertaining) while I still have time to read such things.  So, if there is a book I must read before this baby arrives, let me know!  I’m currently reading On Becoming Baby Wise: Giving Your Infant the Gift of Nighttime Sleep because I’m determined to have a child who sleeps better than I do!  For fun, I had to buy Hatched! The Big Push from Pregnancy to Motherhood when I was at Borders yesterday.  Had to.  Seriously.

image  In anticipation of the movie, I am finally going to read The Time Traveler’s Wife.  I have wanted to read this book since it came out six years ago—which is why I no longer let myself buy books in hardcover.  At least this particular hardcover was a gift and not one of my many, many bookstore purchases.

That’s just a little taste of my summer reading list.  There are so many books I hope to read before the busy, busy fall season—which will be even busier than usual for me.  But I’m such a book nerd, I’m really looking forward to the many, many children’s books I’m going to be purchasing over the next few years!

Posted by Kristina in Books and Reading
  • danielle says:

hey..wow even though you didnt wrote thatn much you get a lot to read ,….grin
    the only book from that list bi ve read&remember;is the first anita blake book..which was..even though it was discribed to me as a typical womens book ..quite good and entertaining…i might finally start to read the second..er*..circus of the damned?? if i remember right…

Danielle ~ I actually know as many men who like Hamilton’s vampire books as women.  There’s enough violence to satisfy the most masculine male. wink

Nikki ~  Thanks for the natural childbirth book recommendations!  I am *very* interested in hypnobirthing, I think I might be good at it.  Unfortunately, there isn’t a class near me, so I’ll have to study on my own.

A friend did tell me that the What to Expect the First Year is good for answering those panicky first-time parent questions.  She said just read a month in advance and you’ll be good.  The What to Expect When You’re Expecting isn’t so much grim as it is vague.  It’s like they don’t really want to give any definitive answers, so everything is “Consult with your doctor if you’re concerned.”  Well, duh.  That’s why I’m looking it up!

Oh what fun…

• Nikki says:

Hi hon,

Oooohhhhhhh babybooks! I can’t read another one or I shall be sick! Anyway, I’ve not read it, but it seems ‘What to Expect’ has a reputation for being full of doom-mongering Worst Case Scenarios. I know a lot of people advise avoiding it.

I’d rec Ina May’s guide to childbirth, especially if you’re planning a natural birth. Very down to earth and reassuring. Also the hypnobirthing book by Marie Mongan – even if you’re not planning to use hypno – I found it amazingly full of very useful, practical information about the actual physical processes involved.

As for what comes after birth – oh, I don’t have a clue! Damn, forgot that bit … well, it can’t be that hard, surely?  ; )

N x

• danielle says:

naturalwhat???
    no seriously..i m the product of such a natural hippie born underwater in a tup so i dont get faced with the mean cold world bla bla bla birth..and see what happened to me..hehe*

@ nikki..i cant count anymore how many babybooks..pregnancy books and after birth books i already read…and still not done with it..grin

• Blogrotica says:

Somtimes it requires reading to become inspired once again!