Oh, The Agony (26w4d)

Sunday, September 6th, 2009 • 8 Comments on Oh, The Agony (26w4d)

It is two o’clock in the morning and I am awake and sitting upright in bed.  Why?  Because if I lay down, I will die of acid reflux.  You probably didn’t know acid reflux will kill you, but trust me, it will.

I never had acid reflux before I was pregnant and didn’t think it was anything to be concerned about.  I was wrong.  It’s horrible.  Awful.  Searing pain from stomach to throat to nasal passages.  A feeling of suffocation if I’m horizontal, followed by coughing and gagging.  My throat feels raw.  I’m afraid to lay down.  It will kill me.

(I’m trying to avoid spicy foods and eating too close to bedtime, but I think I ate too late tonight.  My fault.  I will learn this lesson the hard way, it seems.  Good thing I have three more months to get the hang of it, right?)

Thus concludes my public service announcement on the deadly dangers of acid reflux.  That is all.

Posted by Kristina in Pregnancy 2009, Pregnancy and Baby
  • Erobintica says:

I had that towards the end of my first pregnancy – was not fun – you have my utmost sympathy!

It first hit after having some pizza, hmmm, I think about the time along you are. Not only did I have to sleep pretty much upright (at least on the nights when I’d eaten maybe a little bit too much – thanks to my appetite), but sex wasn’t particularly fun because of it (one of the things I most remember about the end of my first pregnancy – haha). If it’s any consolation, I’ve never really been bothered by it since (even with two subsequent pregnancies).

• I second Justine’s Gaviscon motion. Tastes like Hades but is awesome.

• Alana says:

K, I remember this. Fucking awful. Did I say how fucking awful it was? I ended up in Albertsons one night doubled over in tears looking for a bottle of Tums. My doc said to go ahead and eat as many as it took. It took a lot. That was awful, Jesus. I still get acid reflux once in a while, not that bad, but once in a while bad enough I can’t lie down.

On a positive note, I was extremely fucking horny thoughout my pregnancy and masturbated all the time, up until I delivered, and experienced great, multiple orgasms.

Positive note!

Hugs,
    A

• I have a loved one who suffers from it, so while I don’t have personal knowledge, I do know what you are talking about, and how serious and painful it is.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.

• danielle says:

acid reflux is really a nasty thing..poor you..something that helps real good is to eat (chew it very properly) a piece of a rare potato…sounds ugly but does helpg and is natural…

• Justine Elyot says:

Do you have Gaviscon in the US?  I’ve heard it’s safe to take in pregnancy.  I know how horrible acid reflux is and I hope it passes for you soon.

Thanks for all the lovely and sympathetic comments!  AR is awful. I had no idea!

Craig—I can’t imagine having to live with this all the time, my sympathies to your loved one.  I’m dearly hoping it goes away after baby arrives!

Danielle—I will have to try the potato, though it sounds awful.  Is that raw or just undercooked?

Justine and Charlotte—Dr. hasn’t said I can take Gaviscon (I think we have it here?), but I’ll ask at my next appointment.  I’ve been told I can take Tums (which work great on heartburn, not so much on acid reflux), Maalox and Mylanta (neither of which I’ve tried because I don’t like liquids, but I may have to overcome my aversion there) and Zantac (which I’ve taken twice—the first time it didn’t work at all, the second time was tonight… we’ll see how it goes).

Erobintica—Truly hoping my experience is like yours and it goes away after baby arrives! I am trying (trying!) to moderate what and when I eat—eating too much or too late seems to be as bad as eating something really spicy!

Alana—Lady, I think we might be sisters. wink

• danielle says:

i m afraid it has to be raw..but try undercooked too..who knows…maybe that works as well…hopefully..

meanwhile i found out gthat there are several mineral drinks you can buy in organic food markets for the purpose of stopping acid reflux..and they are alowed during pregnancy as well…